E3 2012 - That Gamer Hub’s Staff Wish List
Yes, itâs this time of the year again. The Christmas of the video game world, E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo), is just around the corner and rumours are already flying around everywhere on gaming websites. As things ramp up until the beginning of the official press conferences next Monday, here is our staffâs wish list for next week.
- The Nintendo Wii U: I want to see where Nintendo is heading with its next console. I want to see innovation, a great online infrastructure with great support, games that gamer REALLY want, and console performances that will give it a chance to compete with the other console manufacturers for years to come.
- More information on announced games: The Last Guardian, BioShock Infinite, Halo 4, Forza Horizon, Resident Evil 6, Rock Band Blitz, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Rainbow Six Patriots, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the next Splinter Cell game, Tomonobu Itagakiâs project (Devilâs Third).
- Less focus on gimmicky designs and more on solid gameplay experiences: The Wii, Kinect, and Move all have their place in the video game world. Still, I believe many publishers have forgotten that these new way of playing do not always fit perfectly with every types of games. This is why I would these peripherals to be used only when it does make sense, not just because âitâs coolâ. Steel Battalion on the Xbox 360 seems to be going in a good direction, bringing standard controllers and Kinect controls together in a great way for gamers (making the technology an extension of what was already a great way of controlling games, not a step back with 100% use of motion control which are usually very inaccurate).
- SURPRISES: Anything! I want to see crazy stuff! Bring back StarCraft: Ghost… Bring back Jazz Jackrabbit… SEGA announcing a new console… Hideo Kojima showing off the next Metal Gear Solid game… Where is that Guillermo Del Toro game (Insane)? I WANT TO SEE ALL THAT STUFF!!! (Long story short: I want to have my mind blown by crazy announcements.)
- F-Zero on the 3DS. It has been far too long since we’ve seen a decent entry in this futuristic, Zero-G racing franchise. I’m not so much about the Original mode seven games that we’ve seen on the SNES and the GBA, but wouldn’t it be crazy to have a game in this series modelled after X or GX, in 3D? However, this would have to be a NEW, ORIGINAL title to satisfy me. No remakes of F-Zero X please! Oh, and no gyro controls either.
- More emphasis on the core audience. Core gamers are what bring the most attention to E3, right? Most of them don’t want to hear about Kinect games about Disneyland, or new Imagine games, or anything coming out on the Wii nowadays. Why not give them something to truly look forward to?
- MS points parody and/or elimination of MS points. If you live in Canada you probably already think this. If the loonie is at par the USD, why are we still getting 10 less points per dollar? It just so happens Canadians aren’t the only country affected by this either. Microsoft needs to change this up else we’ll just continue to get ripped off simply by not living in the US.
- Black Ops II to give players the ability to punch an opponent making fun of your mom. In the face. OVER THE INTERNET. I can dream, can’t I?
- Microsoft needs to get rid of MS points.Â This ridiculous and unfair pricing of MS points from country to country needs to stop.Â I don’t know why I get less points for $20 in Canada than my U.S. counterparts.Â The dollar has been near part for months now.Â Plus with the way taxes are now being charged on both PSN and eShop purchases, MS will have no choice.Â I completely expect this to happen within minutes of the Microsoft keynote starting.
- More Grand Theft Auto V details.Â I expect a release date, platforms and a new trailer to be shown either at the MS Presser or Sony (Maybe a PS3 exclusive?).Â I predict an early 2013 release with a delay in between to make it Holiday 2013.
- Nintendo:Â Redesigned 3DS with larger screen and built-in Circle Pad Pro, similar to the DSi XL. I fully expect Nintendo to bring out a revised version of the console at some point.Â But I think E3 would be the perfect place to reveal it.Â I also expect Nintendo to drop more Wii U details.Â Such as how multiplayer will be integrated (local and online or online only as previously rumored) and most importantly what kind of media and storage options the device will support (Memory cards, HDD, BluRay, Old School Cartridges?).
- Sony: New God of War NOT starring Kratos will be revealed.Â Along with a slicing and dicing trailer.Â Maybe a new God of War Vita title as well.
- Surprises:Â Microsoft reveals newly redesigned Xbox 360 Slim with BluRay drive.Â That’s all I want out a next gen MS console.Â I know they said they wouldn’t do it.Â Supply and demand says this needs to happen.Â Also, Nintendo will reveal a 20th anniversary SNES with built-in upscaler to 720p via HDMI.Â Will be limited edition.Â I really want that.
- Microsoft- No more points, price drop, perhaps a new tier of Xbox live, Summer of Arcade lineup announced (predictions- Battleblock Theater, Charlie Murder, The Wreckateer, Dust: An Elysian Tail)
- Sony- More characters announced for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, including official announcements of Cole, Drake, and Snake, as well as Sackboy, Crash, Spyro, Ryu, Chun-Li, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Sonic.
- Nintendo- NO 3DS redesign (Probably E3 2013), a focus on Wii U titles, including Mario, Sonic, Mario Kart, Pikmin, and maybe some early footage of Smash Bros. (but I’m not holding my breath for that one). Release info for previously announced 3DS titles (Animal Crossing, Luigi’s Mansion 2, Paper Mario), as well as Nintendo Network details.
- Surprises: Retro-styled new Nintendo titles coming to eShop, including Super Mario Bros., Zelda, & Metroid, Vita gets PS1 & 2 classics, Rock Band Blitz on Summer of Arcade- therefore having a timed exclusive on XBLA.
- I want Microsoft to announce a bunch of original exclusive titles that are not sequels, or remakes. They’ve left the hardcore gamer out to dry, whilst spending all their time going after families and casual gamers. All they give the rest of us is a remake or a sequel to IP’s that are anywhere from 6-10 years old. For goodness sake, how many more Halo games can you make?
- Â Nintendo will clarify once and for all that the Wii U is not a tablet. I know we should all know better but I’ve been around a couple of people who are still confused about what the hell this thing does. It would also be great if they announced that they would be alternative, more traditional controls for the Wii U. Some of us just don’t wish to hold a giant rectangle in our hands for hours. Oh and no Mario sequels this year. Something new and original please.
- Sony, well you already know what I’m going to say. And it’s mostly all Vita related. CUT THE PRICE. I want my friends to buy Vitas so that I don’t feel so alone in the world. It would also spur more sales, which is best for Sony in the long run. Announce a bunch of cool new apps for the Vita, and a kick ass line up of games to be released through the duration of this year. I’m desperate to have the Vita be a success, it’s such an amazing handheld!
- I have a dream, that one day there will be an unveiling of a universal console. That plays all games, is DRM free, backwards compatible, and doesn’t allow for unnecessary / on disc DLC. It would truly be a console made for gamers, with their hardships taken into account. Sigh, a man can dream can’t he?
- It’s time for Nintendo to bring it. Â I am so tired of this year after year shoving the Wii and Wii U in our face. Â Here’s an idea. Stop trying to be different and just go with what works best.
- I’d love to see another Metal Gear HD game for the masses to celebrate the 25th anniversary….
- Sony needs to keep pushing the Playstation Vita. It’s doing pretty good so far, but this is just the beginning.
- Surprises!!! Â I want to see something mind blowing. How about Microsoft fooling everyone and showing off the Xbox 720. That would trend on Twitter for hours. #EpicXbox720. If that trends, you know where it originated from!
Stay tuned to That Gamer Hub next week for our live E3 coverage, summary articles as well as special E3 podcasts!